Saturday 29 November 2014

Flipchart-o-rama - Kev F's big draw

The best thing about getting in early before I have to start my Comic Art Masterclasses is that I get to do a drawing on the flipchart. And the very best thing is if the kids get to watch me drawing at least some of it.



You cannot overestimate how impressive it is to schoolkids when you can make pictures like this appear by magic before their eyes. Especially in something like the rather modest example above where I did the entire thing as they watched, without using any reference. I make the point that using reference is a good thing and, especially when you're learning how to draw (and I'm teaching kids from year 3 to year 8) "copying is not cheating, copying is learning".



These are all left behind at the schools for them, hopefully, to display or maybe give away as a prize. I can't see them going for millions in years to come, but they're fun while they last.






Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing Pansy Potter, Bananaman, Biffo The Bear et al in The Beano, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. He's been writing and drawing comics for 25 years, he must know something. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...