Thursday 17 May 2018

Yes, I Remember It Well - new song from the Socks


A new song, written and recorded while writing the Socks' new show Superheroes, and destined never to be in the live show, and probably not in the intro music either - Yes, I Remember It Well.

It's a song about the ret-conning, or retrospective writing of the continuity of a character, in a comic or movie. And, yes, I realise how niche that whole idea is, but I had to write it anyway. A little bit of audience research on Facebook established quickly that nobody understood all of the references in the song, and many people got none of them. The lyrics are below, if you want to make any sense of them.



Yes, I Remember It Well

(SPOKEN)

R   Of course you know the Joker’s origin? He was a stand up comedian, then he does a crime as The Red Hood and –
L  No no no, he’s called Jack Napier played by Jack Nicholson, and he shoots Batman’s parents
R No Batman’s parents were shot by Joe Chill. Yes, I remember it well.

(SUNG)

R  Dick Grayson’s Robin, that’s no mistake
L   No Robin’s Jason Todd, and then Tim Drake
R    Ah yes, I remember it well

R   And Wonder Woman is Zeus’s kid
L    Actually she’s a statue, Hippolyta did
R   Yes I remember it well

R   Now Spider-Man, this I insist,
Has webs that come straight from his wrist
L   Actually they’re from some wee wristbands
That he just sticks on his hands

R    For me to get all these things wrong
It’s like they make it up as they go along
L    Yes I remember it well

R   Deadpool can’t speak, I know I’ve seen
That fight with him in Wolverine
Yes, I remember it well

R    And Scarlet Witch is Magneto’s
L   then
She should be in the films with the X Men
R   Yes, I remember it well

R   The Mighty Thor’s a bloke called Blake
L   Turns out his whole backstory’s fake
R   It seems that happens quite a lot
It’s like they retcon the plot

R   It happens daily, or so it seems,
Next thing you’ll wake up, and it was all a dream

-->
L   And yes you’ll remember it well



The Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre* are Superheroes at The Gilded Balloon at the Edinburgh Fringe from August 1st to 26th - ON SALE NOW! 

*Winners of the Bath Comedy Festival Lovehoney Best Joke Award 2018


Previews:

May 26 3.45pm & May 27 5pm Komedia Brighton
June 16 - Zion, Bristol
June 20 - Ludlow Fringe
July 11 - Neath
July 19 - Bedford Fringe
July 29 - Derby Bar One

 - with more preview dates to be announced

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...