Sunday 2 September 2018

Hey Bucket Heads! - comics by kids


No sooner was I back from a month away at the Edinburgh Fringe then I was back at the chalkface doing the last Comic Art Masterclasses of the summer holidays. Of course the kids of Scotland had gone back to school a fortnight ago, hence the end of the Edinburgh classes, but in England they still had another week to go, and this was how they filled it. By flocking to libraries and art centres and enduring classes with me. On Tuesday it was Andover, where they came up with these two cracking titles.


On Wednesday I drove all the way to Sevenoaks and back, which amounted to over 7 hours driving for less than 6 hours work, such is my life. I was pleased with the Bloodsucking Cow cover. By the way, if you're a regular reader of this blog, you've probably worked out that you can see how many kids were in each class by the number of drawings they've done in the backgrounds of the covers. Sevenoaks was a proper sellout, with just short of 30 in each group, as was Andover before it.


In Tewkesbury we had a slightly smaller turnout, and likewise at Matson library in the afternoon, but both grand groups to work with. And I was chuffed with my Ninja Granny cover. Sometimes a design, knocked off in minutes while the kids are getting on with their drawings, comes off. And just as often it doesn't. Being rested after the month in Edinburgh probably helped.


I say rested. Obviously I was doing a show every night and didn't have time to colour any comics while I was there, but I had a rest from comics drawing. And from driving. Which I certainly got unrested from this week. Monday I drove from Edinburgh to Clevedon, Tuesday to Andover & back, Weds to Sevenoaks in Kent & back, Thursday to Tewkesbury & Matson and then to Warrington for an overnight stay before the day's classes (above), then to Kibworth on Friday night to see Mum, before coming home Saturday night. Enough miles for you?


The celebrities these 8 groups chose to appear in my demonstration strip were Simon Cowell, Donald Trump (twice), The Queen, Harry Hill (twice), Ant McPartlin and Barack Obama.



Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the promo video here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...