Thursday 31 January 2019

Don't Lets Be Beastly To The Leavers - new video


Brand new from the Socks - Don't Let's Be Beastly To The Leavers. A fun new song, recorded and shot today, I do hope everyone enjoys it.

The song itself, obviously, is based on the Noel Coward classic and channels the same satirical message. Having written the lyrics Wednesday evening, I then had to go to the storage unit to rescue my keyboard in order to record it. This is the first song where I've played all of the music for a while, having relied on karaoke tracks for a lot of recent tunes, especially ones that aren't part of the stage show. Possible the last song I played with no assistance was Avengers Reel from the Superheroes show. Anyway, any bum notes, they're all me, played in the key of C then transposed down to B flat so I could sing it.

The video was a tight thing too. My camera has a fault by which the power cable doesn't seem to be working. It's had this glitch on and off over recent years but usually, eg last week when I used it, it fritzed back onto working properly and it charged up. This video was shot in one take, with the camera showing 8 minutes of battery life remaining, and transferred to the laptop on the same bit of juice. I'm now looking at a DV camera that's dead to the world. A problem I'll remember about when it's time for the next video.

And I know there's an error in the subtitles (apart from the indecision about whether to write Lets or Let's, and doing both), which I didn't spot until it was too late. Live with it.

UPDATE: By Mon Feb 4 this has had 3200 views on Facebook, + 820 views of its square version. This compares to 2500 views of Fyre Festival. On Youtube it's only mustered 193 views.

Let's see how many Leavers this drags out of my Facebook woodwork. Chances are there aren't any left. But I did get one slightly hostile comment on last week's Fyre Festival video:

boredoftheworld wrote:

I love the Socks. For years I've subjected everyone I know to clips. A trip to the UK with my wife to see the Socks is at the top of my bucket list. I've up-voted every Socks clip but this one... this one was oversimplified pandering that serves no one. Take a few shots but an all out assault only alienates people with differing political opinions. It's the overreaching that turns something funny into something annoying. Everyone on earth already knows all the trendy people hate brexit, there's no point virtue signaling about it anymore.

As I say, I'm not expecting him to have this among his favourites either.


The Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre are previewing and touring throughout 2019.

Feb 15/16 - Kayal Leicester 
Mar 20/21 - Dram Glasgow 
April 5 - Chorley Little Theatre 90 min (Superheroes)
May 24 - Victoria Halifax Roll Up 7pm
June 1 & 2 - Brighton Komedia
June 8 - Harlequin, Reigate
July 8 - OSO Barnes Fringe
July 19 - Kings Arms, Greater Manchester Fringe
July 20 - Bedford Fringe
July 30 - Aug 25 - Gilded Balloon, Edinburgh Fringe 9.30pm

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...