Thursday, 6 August 2026

Why My Nan Exploded Her Toilet - the half-&-half comics by kids


Three days and six libraries in the various suburbs of Swansea produced these six smashing comics. And can you spot the unusual similarity in their compositions? Go on, have a closer look. Four out of five of them have an interesting layout, for a very specific reason.


Day one was Clydach and Gorseinon libraries. And it was at that very first library I discovered they only had a small copier, with just an A4 plate. Meaning I couldn't reduce the A3 cover artwork down as I would normally do. All I could do was treat it as two A4 pages and copy them two-up on a page, resulting in a gap between the top and bottom of the page. Here, on Psychopathic Murderer, I rather "hung a lampshade" on it, as they say in TV Tropes, and made a feature of the gap in the middle. But as the week progressed I tried to be more subtle about it. (Gorseinon Library had a full sized copier).


Can you spot which library, out of Llansamlet and Morriston, had the A4 copier and which had the A3? See, you can't even spot the join. Skill.


Third day of libraries, second day of Marvel classic cover homages, and first day where both copiers were only A4s, so they both needed a gap in the middle. I'm very pleased with how I disguised the join on the Dogman cover (the hat is just above the join, the buildings below go right up to it), though it does look a bit weird on the Hulk one. The fact is, in actual design, you almost always have something interesting smack bang in the centre of the page, and it's really quite odd to leave a gap there.

The celebrities these six groups of kids chose to appear in my demonstration strip were Michael Jackson (the scary old evil version, three times), Simon Cowell, Ronaldo, and I Show Speed (a Youtuber).

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...