Friday 27 July 2018

Aliens, Beer & Toothpaste - comics by kids


A busy stretch of comic art masterclasses in the run up to Edinburgh began in Barnet Libraries. Barnet is bigger than you realise, taking in 15 different libraries, so I hope I impressed them enough to have me back to the other 13. As it was, these two classics were the produce of groups in Colindale and Finchley Central.


At The Hive in Worcester - and I'm seeing my fair share of shiny new library buildings this week I must say (Barnet's libraries included one you can't get into without a card and two sets of state-of-the-art electric security gates, while The Hive had hi-tech codes on all the doors right alongside a toilet door handle that had fallen off so no-one could lock it) - I worked with Greenfingers, who are cared-for kids of various backgrounds, all of whom were smashing.



Up the A1 to Darlington Library where we produced one comic in the morning with a sellout group, then to Cockerton Library in the afternoon for the same again. Great groups, and some well-promoted classes by Suzy at the library who's had me back a few times. It's good when your reputation grows and word gets about. Did I mention all of these classes have been tied into the Summer Reading Challenge's Mischief Makers project, which is Beano-themed this year? I could have booked August solid with these gigs if I wasn't doing Edinburgh.


The celebrities these five groups chose to star in my demonstration strip were Lionel Messi, Kim Kardashian, Michael Jackson, Bear Grylls, and, most original of the week, Bob Ross.



Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the promo video here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...