Saturday 6 August 2022

Flyering thoughts


Flyering

An unusual item appears in the Artists Welcome Pack from Gilded Balloon this year: 

"The general consensus is there will be a lot less hand-to-hand flyering at the festival going forward. Ultimately it’s up to you, but encouraging people to take a picture of a poster rather than take a flyer is what we're advising this year." 

Though I can see the argument against flyering, from an ecological angle (suggesting that all that talk of recycling was all made up), when it comes to promoting a show at Edinburgh nothing compares to flyering. Especially this year when, through some cashflow or cockup problem, there is no Edfringe App, meaning no-one knows what shows are coming up next, and when. A question that is answered by me and my flyer telling them "this is the show you're looking for, it starts at 4.30"

My flyering seems to have worked, with Saturday night's show selling 87 - our second-highest opening Saturday ever, out of 12 shows. Tonight (Monday) is already on 89, out of a capacity of 105, so maybe our first sellout is possible? All this is down to flyering.

I've witnessed a couple of shows trying to get by, outside the venue, without flyers to hand out. I honestly don't know how well their shows are going as a result (remembering that a lot of shows promote in a lot of ways, many have already found their audiences through social media and advertising long before they've even got up to Edinburgh). But the one thing I definitely have not seen yet is punters taking pictures of the QR code on your posters and flyers and using those to make their decisions by.

I pride myself in my flyer having the information and images that'll sell my show, if you've never heard of us before, or that'll remind you of our existence, if you're aware of us from previous years. I see little to compare with that, in advertising terms, on the streets of Edinburgh. But, that said, I'm not selling out like 2019 (being in a 105 seater rather than a 50 seater means I won't see the 75% sellout I enjoyed that year!) so I can't get smug about flyering. 

I may just be attached to a "legacy" method of promotion that the kids will continue to try and eliminate. Whatever, I love doing it and, damn, I am good at it.


SCOTTISH FALSETTO SOCKS: EUROVISION SOCK CONTEST

Aug 3 - 13 - Gilded Balloon Billiard Room 4.30pm



scottishfalsettosocks.com  Facebook  Twitter  Instagram  Tiktok  Youtube  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...