Friday 28 April 2023

Tik Tok videos, a flurry thereof


 I've made sporadic use of TikTok since I discovered it a couple of years ago. 

Last year, when the Socks thought they were going to break big on Britain's Got Talent, we made a few special videos, which got no traction. Then over the Edinburgh period I made special live edits of the show. To date the most viewed Socks TikTok is the Iceland gag from Eurovision, which has a freakish 28,000 views. Then there's a drop to 2404 views for my version of Dean's song Ariel with Little Mermaid lyrics (from 2018 originally, uploaded in 2022), and most of the rest get less than 400 views.

My videos posted as myself have been similarly varied. For a long time my first Eurovision Colouring Book Tiktok was my most viewed, with 13,600 views. Then, back in November, my to-camera rant about The Power Of The Doctor rocketed to an unrivalled 93,400 views.

Most of my Colouring Book videos have been flip-through of the pages, which #BookTok enthusiasts on the group 20BooksTo50K insist gets them the best responses for selling their books. Well not me. With the exception of that first Eurovision flip-through, they get around 300 views and no more.

I returned with a to-camera piece a couple of weeks back, to plug the new editions of my graphic novels, which I'm describing as "All killer no filler" (they have the comic strip, but no Shakespeare play at the back. If you're interested they're Findlay Macbeth, Prince Of Denmark St, and Midsummer Night's Dream Team). This video saw an uptick in my viewings, currently standing at 2531.

Since then I've rattled off quick to-camera pieces for the toys I was flogging on eBay, which started getting a few hundred. Not much, but more than the book-flips. Then I did some unboxings, when some new colouring books were delivered, and look how those viewings shot up (chart below). 

Whether this turns into book sales, we shall see. Meanwhile, if I keep doing these on some kind of regular basis, maybe the algorithms will warm to me and start working in my favour. Time will tell.

Recent Tik Tok videos (from most recent down):

Unboxing Eurovision Colouring (actually a fake unboxing) - 442 views
Unboxing Royalty Colouring - 4389 
Unboxing 1990s Colouring (new cover) - 7153
Unboxing Xmas Movies Colouring - 3957
Action Man on eBay No2 - 282
Action Man on eBay No1 - 495
Batmobile on eBay - 715
James Bond car on eBay - 452
Chitty Bang Bang on eBay - 548
Flip-through Omnibus book - 319
To-camera "All Killer No Filler" books - 2531
Multi-language Eurovision flip - 529
1990s Colouring flip - 248
2020s Colouring flip - 298
Eurovision Vol 2 flip - 578
Sitcom Trials clip - 158 (a record low!)
Eurovision Vol 1 flip - 401
Signing comp slip - 361
Star Wars comics on eBay flip - 557
Punk colouring flip - 313
etc (after this it's low 300s for all vids till...)
Power Of The Doctor rant (Nov 22) - 93,400 views

So, we can conclude that talking to the camera attracts attention, while flipping-through the pages of a book simply doesn't. Lesson learned.

My Books and where to get them:

Findlay Macbeth - Amazon  - Etsy 
Prince Of Denmark Street - Amazon - Etsy 
Midsummer Nights Dream Team  - Amazon Etsy 
Shakespeare Omnibus Collection (all 3 books) - Amazon
Tales From The Bible - Amazon -  Etsy 

Eurovision Colouring Vol 1 Amazon -  Lulu  - Etsy 
Eurovision Colouring Vol 2 - Amazon  - Lulu  - Etsy 

Eurovision French edition - édition en français
Eurovision Spanish edition - Libro para colorear
Eurovision German edition - Popstar Malbuch
Eurovision Italian edition - il libro da colorare 
Eurovision Swedish edition - Popstjärna Målarbok
Eurovision Colouring Best Of British - Amazon

Doctor Who Colouring - Amazon - Lulu  - Etsy 
Punk Colouring - Amazon  - Lulu  - Etsy 
60s Pop Star Colouring - Amazon  - Lulu  - Etsy 
70s Pop Star Colouring - Amazon  - Lulu  - Etsy 
80s Pop Star Colouring Amazon
80s Superstars - Amazon
90s Pop Star Colouring Lulu - Etsy
2020s Pop Star Colouring Amazon
Bowie Colouring - Amazon
Scottish Pop Star Colouring - Amazon
Rom Com Colouring - Amazon
Royalty Colouring - Lulu
Christmas Movies Colouring - Amazon

NB: Etsy editions are signed and posted by me, and generally cheaper


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...