Sunday 6 August 2023

Who The Flip Is Eyeball Dude? - comics by kids


Three days on tour with my Comic Art Masterclasses, to Beverley, Darlington and Peterborough, brought with them not only a splendid line up of comics, but also a new discovery - I can sell comics! I mean, I've been selling comics for years, and in the last two have perfected my schtick of standing behind my table at comic & book festivals with my banner and my point of sale displays and shifting copies of my Shakespearian graphic novels. But one thing I hadn't really done, until this summer, was try selling books to the attendees of my Comic Art Masterclasses. 

The reason for that is that, usually, in a school I'm talking to a group of kids who have, as a matter of course, no money. But this summer's classes are at libraries and art centres, which means their parents are with them, sat quietly at the back of the room (something I'm getting quite good at being insistent upon). So, starting back at the Clevedon Lit Fest in June, I set up my display at the back of the room, whipped out the iZettle, and sold signed books. As you'll recall, I did rather well. So I took a couple of boxes of books with me on this three day trip to see how I'd fare.


Beverley Library, or rather Treasure House, hosted a couple of splendid sold-out classes who produced the above pair of smashing comics. More significantly, for my mercenary experiment, the parents were forthcoming when it came to buying signed copies of my books afterwards. £48 worth of books in fact, which is not bad at all.


Cockerton Library, near Darlington, was a return visit following a success last summer, and another pair of sellout classes. Interestingly there is no photocopier at this library, so the attendees had to settle for a copy of the front cover, and their caricatures. They seemed happy. As did I when, by the end of the two sessions, the parents had bought £123 worth of books. This left me very nearly out of stock. 

£123 worth of books sold in a day (in two little ten minute bursts after my classes) compares most favourably to Macc Pow, where a whole day behind a table netted only £80; Braintree where one class gave me sales of £75; and Clevedon Lit Fest where a morning behind the table + sales after one class took £145. All this, remember, on top of the class itself, for which I get paid.


The Cresset in Peterborough saw two more sellout classes, but a but of a double-edged sword as far as book sales were concerned. In that, because of the unexpected success of the previous day, I had hardly any books left to sell. So, after the morning class, I sold £33 worth and then, tragically, ran out of stock. This meant the afternoon class had to settle for me telling them to scan my QR code and order the books from my website - which, we know from past experience, no-one ever does. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, and this is demonstrated nowhere more clearly than in a situation like this. When the kids and parents have just sat through two hours of my classes, they are ready to buy my books, especially when I can sign them in front of them and hand them to them. But after the event, the whole notion goes cold.

On the strength of these three days, I have just booked an extra bag to go in the hold for my week of classes in Northern Ireland, in order that I might try selling books at those classes. What are the chances this was a flash in the pan and I'm about to waste good money?


The celebrities these 6 groups chose to appear in my demonstration strip were Taylor Swift, Michael Jackson, Mr Beast, Declan Donnelly, David Walliams and Rick Astley.

My Books and where to get them:

Findlay Macbeth - Amazon  - Etsy 
Prince Of Denmark Street - Amazon - Etsy 
Midsummer Nights Dream Team  - Amazon Etsy 
Shakespeare Omnibus Collection (all 3 books) - Amazon

Richard The Third Pre-order on Amazon

Tales From The Bible - Amazon -  Etsy 
The Book Of Esther - Lulu  - Amazon 
Captain Clevedon - Amazon
Tales Of Nambygate - Amazon  

Eurovision Colouring Vol 1 Amazon -  Lulu  - Etsy 
Eurovision Colouring Vol 2 - Amazon  - Lulu  - Etsy 
Eurovision Colouring Best Of British - Amazon

Doctor Who Colouring - Amazon - Lulu  - Etsy 
Punk Colouring - Amazon  - Lulu  - Etsy 
60s Pop Star Colouring - Amazon  - Lulu  - Etsy 
70s Pop Star Colouring - Amazon  - Lulu  - Etsy 
80s Pop Star Colouring Amazon
80s Superstars - Amazon
90s Pop Star Colouring Lulu - Etsy
2020s Pop Star Colouring Amazon
Bowie Colouring - Amazon
Scottish Pop Star Colouring - Amazon
Rom Com Colouring - Amazon
Royalty Colouring - Lulu
Christmas Movies Colouring - Amazon

NB: Etsy editions are signed and posted by me, and generally cheaper   


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...