Monday 15 July 2024

My Little Pony In The Hunger Games - more comics by kids


When I refer to these collections as "a week's worth of comics" they're usually spread over more than just one week. But this time we're looking at four consecutive days, in Wells, Churchill, Halesowen, and Wells again.


The Blue School in Wells has a plaque up on the wall commemorating its most famous alumnus, Edgar Wright, director of Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz (set in Wells of course) and Baby Driver and others. At first I thought, because of its name, it was a private school. But it's not, it's a 1500 pupil state school on the edge of Wells and its kids came up with some fun ideas.


Churchill School in North Somerset have been having me back for some years now, which is lovely. This time, rather than giving me two groups in a day to work with (my usual m.o.) I had one group for the whole day. With some groups I struggle to spin what is essentially a two hour class out to six hours, but luckily this lot were an attentive and interested bunch. So when, having produced our first comic of the day, I then got them to work in small groups on a second comic strip, they were able to do it, and it inspired lots of interesting new input and feedback from me. I also got the kids to draw the front cover themselves, which served to remind me that, actually, drawing logos by hand and filling a cover with a big bold image is not as easy as I make it look, and I can forgive myself for those times it doesn't coming out looking like an award winner.


Windsor Academy in Halesowen is a school I hadn't been back to since 2015 - they still had the comic covers on the wall that we'd produced then, and in 2009. God I've been doing this a long time. They distinguished themselves by being the school this week where kids brought money in to get signed copies of my books. They also made some fine comics.


If it's Thursday it must be my second visit to The Blue School in Wells, and my two favourite covers of the week.

The celebrities these seven groups chose to appear in my demonstration strip were Bob Ross, Ryan Reynolds, Paul McCartney, Barack Obama, Simon Cowell, Terry Crews, and Adam Sandler.


My Books and where to get them:

Richard The Third Amazon - Etsy - Barnes & Noble - Waterstones
Findlay Macbeth - Amazon  - Etsy 
Prince Of Denmark Street - Amazon - Etsy - Kindle
Midsummer Nights Dream Team  - Amazon Etsy 
Shakespeare Omnibus Collection (all 3 books) - Paperback

Sweet Smell Of Sockcess - Putting A Show On At The Edinburgh Fringe - Amazon - ebook

Who Notes - Doctor Who Reviews - Amazon - Lulu - ebook
Space Elain - Amazon - Lulu - iBooks - Barnes & Noble 
Tales From The Bible - Amazon -  Etsy - Webtoons
The Book Of Esther - Lulu  - Amazon - Webtoons
Joseph, Ruth & Other Stories - Amazon
Captain Clevedon - Amazon
Tales Of Nambygate - Amazon  






No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...