Friday 10 October 2014

Machine Gun Monkey - new comics by kids

Here we see a selection of comics dreamed up by pupils in my Comic Art Masterclasses in Bewdley, Ebbw Vale, Porthcawl and Hertford. One was done for a birthday party, which is something that works surprisingly well and that I've done a few times recently. As a kid I can't imagine how I'd have reacted if my nine or ten year old friend had invited me to party and then we'd spent two hours doing an art class, but amazingly kids love it and don't want it to end. Aren't comics brilliant?

These groups, given the chance to name a celebrity who I should draw in my demonstration strip, conformed to type and chose Simon Cowell twice (he is named in 8 out of every 10 classes, so much so that I write his name down on a piece of paper in my pocket and elicit a laugh from teachers by producing it when his name is called, saying "every time"), Keith Lemon twice, Cheryl Cole, and Taylor Swift.

And of course I knocked up some nifty flipcharts along the way. Here, why don't you enjoy a couple?





Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing Pansy Potter, Bananaman, Biffo The Bear et al in The Beano, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. He's been writing and drawing comics for 25 years, he must know something. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...