Sunday 7 June 2015

Wam Bam Jelly & Jam - new comics by schoolkids


If these comics don't come from diverse enough points on the compass for you, then I ought to hand in my Most Travelled Deliverer of Comic Art Masterclasses badge and retire. From Guildford to Aberdeen, to Sunderland and finally to Croydon. (Inbetween which I spent a week in Bradford, more of which here.) These are the front covers of the comics they produced, and aren't they cracking?


Always a pleasure to go back to Croydon (though the Friday traffic, morning and evening, coupled with the tight schedule for the classes, meant I ended up driving for eight hours in order to teach for four) and even more so to be invited back to G Live in Guildford which I thought I might not see again, it being (a few years ago) the only place where I'd received a written complaint from a parent (the mother of a 4 year old, having had it explained to her right from the start that my class would be totally inappropriate for a 4 year old, dug her heels in and insisted her 4 year old sit through my class, then wrote to complain afterwards that the class was totally inappropriate for a 4 year old. I'm told this is very much A Guildford Thing.)


Did I ever mention that I was born in Aberdeen? Because of my absurd English accent no-one ever believes me, but I'm 100% Scottish, spending my first three years at Burnieboozle Crescent Aberdeen, and if you cut me in half... well I'll die if you cut me in half. I don't know where I thought that phrase was going to go when I started writing it.

So it was with the greatest pleasure that, courtesy of Aberdeen's Mayfest, I delivered two Comic Art Masterclasses in the city of my birth. Lovely kids to work with, and to think those are the accents I could have grown up with.


And from Aberdeen (via some convoluted travel arrangements) I wound up in Sunderland delivering a class as part of the inaugural Wonderlands comic expo. An honour to be part of it, and my thanks to Bryan Talbot for inviting me to participate, and to the organisation for laying on such great food and accommodation. A true European style festival that will grow and grow, all going well.

These seven groups, when asked to choose a celebrity to tread on a worm, plumped for Simon Cowell (twice), Michael Jackson, Taylor Swift, Lionel Messi, Beyonce and Sam Smith.





Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the promo video here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...