Saturday 14 April 2018

Devil Who Farted Rainbows - new comics by kids


We haven't had  Donald Trump title suggested by the kids in my Comic Art Masterclasses for a while, so this one from the library in Potters Bar was a treat to draw. It's the second week of the Easter hols, so these classes were once more extra-scholasticular (if it's not a word, it should be).


My second day of holiday classes in Walthamstow and Chingford was fun, made all the more entertaining by me having, first, to pick up a flipchart pad in the town centre before the first class. Then I had to zoom from a school in Walthamstow to a school in Chingford. Not a long journey but, as I realised when I punched it into satnav, one that was going to take me all of lunchtime. I had, you see, pre-programmed the postcodes for my destination into satnav in advance, to save time. So when it came to heading for Chingford, I simply hit the pre-installed postcode (which appears in "history" as a pre-visited address) and off I went. Don't worry I didn't get caught out by accidentally going back to the town centre where I'd been earlier to buy a flipchart, I skipped that.

It was only when I was a good few miles up the Chingford Road and starting to turn into the M25 that I realised I'd skipped an address too far. Instead of going to Chingford, I was going back to Potters Bar, where I'd been two days earlier. Long story short, I arrived 20 minutes late, but the class was excellent. Phew.




I'm doing a series of classes with CLAPA - the Cleft Lip and Palate Association - and couldn't avoid the obvious pun, on the flipchart above. Sue me.



The celebrities these five groups chose to appear in my demonstration strip were Kim Jong Un, Roald Dahl, Michael Jackson, Donald Trump and, most original suggestion for a while, Gilbert O'Sullivan (chosen because one of the kids' Dads is a friend of Gilbert, or Ray as they know him, and stay with him in his house in Jersey).

Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the promo video here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...