Tuesday 8 July 2014

Black Exorcist - new comics by kids


More new comics, the covers thereof, by kids in my recent Comic Art Masterclasses in Burton On Trent, Sutton In Surrey, Greenock on Clydeside, and Keswick in The Lake District. Yes, when I say distance is no object, I clearly mean it.

The celebrities they chose for the "treads on a worm" demonstration were Miley Cyrus (twice), Hugh Jackman, Matt Smith, Elvis Presley and, for the first time, Kim Jong-Un. And don't these covers feature rather a lot of "generic schoolkid"? Sorry, inspiration can't strike every time. Did I mention I draw these covers in less than 15 minutes?


If you're interested, my day trip to Greenock is probably the most complicated bit of travelling in recent weeks. I had my flight to Glasgow and car-hire at Glasgow airport pre-booked, remembering to take my driving licence with me. Then just as I'm about to leave the house, at 5.45am to catch a 7am flight, I realise I can't find my passport. Panic ensues in the household, with me even trying to phone the airport to see if I'd be allowed to travel with just my driving licence as photo ID. For the record, you can't get an answer from Bristol airport at that time of the morning, and I still don't know whether a driving licence is good enough to fly with.


I set off for the airport with fingers crossed, only to find my passport lying in the car where it had fallen from my jacket pocket earlier in the week. Phew, panic over. I caught my flight in plenty of time. And it was only on the steps of the plane that I realised I've forgotten another thing I was supposed to remember - my Satnav. I'd instinctively put in the glove compartment instead of sticking it in my bag when I parked at the airport. This meant I had to cough up an extra fifteen quid to hire a satnav from Avis.

If anyone's bothered, I can attest to the fact that Garmin satnavs are rubbish compared to the Tom Tom I'm used to. This particular model seemed to be out of time, often telling me to take a turning that was two turnings behind, then, towards the end of the journey, giving me directions that were two stages ahead. When I arrived at my destination, the satnav though I had arrived a minute earlier and was displaying the words "Satnav off" on screen. Rubbish.

Luckily I took this journey as an opportunity to find out how my new iPhone works as a Satnav. And, guess what, the iPhone is way better than a Garmin. I could only hear the voice directions, but if had myself a way of mounting it on the dashboard it might give my beloved Tom Tom a run for its money.

Okay this is turning into Top Gear. Off with you. More Comic Art Masterclasses lie ahead, see you there.



Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing Bananaman in The Beano, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. He's been writing and drawing comics for 25 years, he must know something.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...