Tuesday 3 December 2019

Findlay - research continues


Working on the new graphic novel (first rough draft completed), which is a period piece set in 1977, I keep finding fascinating facts. For example, did you know when the high five originated? (Google it. In the first draft I have two characters doing a High Five. Now I'm changing it to a handshake). Also did you know...?

The Guardian's west coast editor is the daughter of Valerie Leon out of the Hai Karate adverts? (Discovered when choosing whether my protagonist wears Brut 33 or Lynx)

Google & Wikipedia seem never to have heard of the Budgie Collar. Has anyone apart from me? Had they gone out by 1977?

What an awful lot of celebrities died in 1977. For a routine in my script I've opted for Groucho Marx, Bing Crosby and Marc Bolan, largely cos I couldn't think of good enough gags for Elvis or Charlie Chaplin.

The research and writing continues. Here's some sketches of fashion and hairstyles, ranging from too cool, via too messy, to just right.


Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries & art centres. email for details. Facebook, TwitterPromo video here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...