Thursday 19 December 2019

The Day Boris Johnson Finally Did Brexit - last kids comics of the year

December was a quiet month, rounding off what has been an uncommonly quiet year of school visits for me (only 82 days' worth, as opposed to most years seeing over 100 days in schools), but quality triumphed over quality once more with this pair from Angmering in West Sussex. And, not that it was on my mind much, but I've managed to include Findaly Macbeth (from the graphic novel I'm working on) in the front cover.


Ann Cam school has an unusual name, named after a woman called Ann Cam, and the kids came up with a couple of top comic titles. A peanut in the trenches of World War One, it's what they wanted. The kid less so.


Finham Park in Coventry had me working with one class for the whole day, which is their prerogative. I usually suggest schools get more value for money by making me work with two groups in a day, but I'm happy either way. Excellent comic title again.


Howard Juniors win the prize for school that has had me back fastest. I visited them in November, and they almost instantly asked me to return for a day which involved an extended awards-based assembly, during which I drew lots of caricatures. Then there was half a morning of drawing more caricatures, with one Comic Art Masterclass in the afternoon, ending the year with the least inspired title of the season. The contents were excellent though, as always. God bless us every one.


The six celebrities these groups chose to appear in my demonstration strip were Kim Kardashian, Caitlyn Jenner, David Walliams, Donald Trump, David Hasselhof, and Katy Perry. With which results I am now able to total up my list of The Favourite Celebrities of 2019 According To The Kids, which you can read here.



Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the promo video here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...