Friday 21 September 2012

Tories, an update

Two news stories have come up today to occupy the chattering classes, amongst whom I must number myself. In one, Tory MP Grant Shapps posed as web guru at $3,000-a-head Las Vegas conference, and in the other, the Tory chief whip called a Policeman a Pleb



What amazes me is that this amazes anyone. One Tory MP is shown to be a self-serving shyster and one is demonstrated to be an arrogant snob. Forgive my ignorance, but isn't that why people voted for them in the first place? I'm not a Tory voter myself. But if I was, I would imagine I would be either an aspirational or a privileged person who looked down on and disparaged the unsuccessful and the unlucky. That is what being a Tory means, isn't it?

So if I'd voted for a Tory MP, I'd be majorly pissed off if they were anything less than a self-serving arrogant shit who thought the world owed them a living and who didn't think that anyone poorer than them was a Pleb. Let me tell you, from my experience of Tories, Pleb is one of the kinder words they reserve for the lower orders. Trust me, I've spoken at the Cambridge Union on nights other than the Freshers Debate.

 I am reminded of Aesop's Fable of the Farmer & the Viper. You know the story, so I'll cut to the punchline...

"You knew I was a snake before you took me in."

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...