Saturday 12 October 2013

DACS interview



Well lookit me, all over the DACS website, with a fun little interview I did recently. The Design and Copyright Society is a very helpful organisation for the struggling illustrator, enabling you to reclaim royalties for past publications and for work used in TV shows. It's always flattering to be interviewed, about anything frankly.

Kev F Sutherland: Why I'm signed up to Payback

As the deadline for Payback approaches, we interview comic artist Kev F Sutherland about his experience of claiming Payback royalties and find out what he's been working on recently. 

Can you tell us a bit about your work?

I write and draw for comics ranging from The Beano to Doctor Who Adventures via Match and even Marvel comics. Over the last 25 years I've worked for most publishers you can think of.

How long have you been claiming Payback royalties for?

This will be my tenth year claiming (no, nine, I missed the deadline one year!). I first became aware of Payback on its twentieth anniversary in 2004.

What did you do with last year’s Payback royalty?

The Payback royalties are perfectly timed for Christmas, which is also when freelance creative types often find a hole in their production (and earning) calendar. Thank DACS for remembering we don't get paid holidays in our line of work.

What advice would you give to anyone signing up for Payback for the first time?

Make sure you've kept file copies of all the books and magazines you've worked in, 'cos you'll need to find those ISBN numbers. I can safely say I'd not looked twice at an ISBN number and couldn't tell them apart until I filled in my first Payback claim.

Do you have any interesting projects coming up that we should know about?

I've written a Desperate Dan graphic novel, though since my publisher has never produced a graphic novel before now I'm having fun selling that idea. Keep looking out for me in the Beano, and if you're the recipient of any corporate Christmas cards, I may well have drawn them (though since they're not eligible for Payback, I really ought to remember to charge more for them).

For updates and information about Kev F Sutherland, visit his website.

Online registration for Payback closes on 31 October. Has your work ever appeared in UK books, magazines or TV? Find out more and sign up.

Read more interviews with artists who have claimed Payback royalties.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...