Saturday 28 February 2015

The Problem With Penguins - new comics by kids. And goats.

Here we see the fruits of the labours of classes of schoolkids from Birmingham to Devon to Alton in Hampshire. Two days apiece in primary schools in Bournville and Newton Poppleford, and a day at Wessex Arts in Alton, and we have 9 beautiful covers, with names dreamed up by the kids, containing a strip be every one of them and an individual caricature by me.

Only nine you say? But surely you do two classes in a day? True, I usually do. But on Monday in Bournville I had an interestingly different morning spent drawing a goat.


The school's badge features a goat which they've included in such things as a stained glass window, and so the thought was that I could draw a goat in various positions, in illustrations that could be used in promotional and educational materials. They got some pretty good value for money from me, I must say. Half a dozen illustrations rattled off in the library in the course of a morning and coloured at home that night for no extra charge. I do hope no other schools are reading this, cos I can't promise to offer such a bonus service for everyone who asks.


The celebrities the kids in my classes chose for my now-legendary "treads on a worm" demonstration strip were Meghan Trainor, Olly Murs, Simon Cowell (of course, twice), Michael Jackson, Taylor Swift (twice), Dec out of Ant & Dec, and most original of the week Martin Luther King.





Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing Bananaman in The Beano, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the new promo video here.


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...