Tuesday 29 August 2017

The Nativity - art completed


Having completed the script a month ago to the day, and delivered the line art a fortnight ago, it seems positively sluggish that I've only delivered the colour art today for The Nativity, a job that is, essentially 8 pages long (though it's broken down into A5 pages, so it's 16 really, in old money). But given that I've managed to cram in Comic Art Masterclasses in London (three times) and Andover, and Socks gigs in Derbyshire, London and Kirkcaldy, as well as trying not forget this is a holiday month when I'd normally be up in Edinburgh, I think I've done well working at this admittedly leisurely rate. It's also fun for a job to feel a bit like a labour of love. You remember, the way it was when I started drawing comics as a kid?



The timing of this job has worked out perfectly, funding me through August without the usual rigmarole of coughing up the vast expense of Edinburgh, then waiting till the Autumn for it all to come back in again. So civilised. Though not so attractive that I haven't already made plans to drain all my resources again next year by returning to Edinburgh with the Socks.

I'm hoping I'll get the go ahead soon to draw up the Women Of The Bible strips that I wrote at the start of the year but that are awaiting editorial feedback. It would be the best thing ever to have Ruth, Rahab and Jael Wife Of Heber ready to join Esther in a book by the start of the new year. Let us see what the autumn brings.

Though nobody will know it but me, the skinny one out of the Magi is supposed to be based on Brian Cox. Don't worry, it doesn't spoil his gags that I'm rubbish at caricatures.*


*NB: I'm not rubbish at caricatures, I'm brilliant at them, and available for parties. Book now for Christmas.

Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the promo video

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...