Friday 21 February 2014

Just call me Jack Kerouac - writing on the road

Tinsel town in the rain, Glasgow yesterday

I feel like Kojak sitting in a cadillac, I wanna eat I wanna eat a flapjack, stack, rack, six pack Jack, just call me Jack Kerouac. And full marks to anyone who can identify that lyric, which comes to mind having returned from two days in Stirling and Glasgow, during which I got a surprising amount of work done.

I was up there for the Socks to play at the Macrobert theatre in Stirling, which they did to great acclaim. But the costs and timings of flights meant I had half a day in Glasgow & Stirling before going up for the gig, then a full day in Stirling & Glasgow before my 8.50pm flight back. Luckily for me, there was Beano writing to do.

On the morning of my setting off, I was asked by the Beano to write some Little Plum scripts, and I was already in the middle of writing a batch of Bananamans. And, working variously in my hotel room, on buses and trains, in the airport, and at a cracking cafe in Glasgow called South Block, I managed to write 5 Little Plum stories (Damon The Shaman, Totem Pole, Mind Reading, Summer Camp and Bare Grrls) and two Bananamans (Cafe Hero and Bell of Doom). The most productive time I think I have ever spent while travelling between gigs.

And if you want to get a feeling of the romantic atmosphere of the itinerant writer on the road, here is my hotel room (The Golden Lion, don't cha know, Robert Burns stayed there back in the day) yesterday:


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...