Wednesday 27 April 2016

Socks Romeo & Juliet comic off to the printers


There are few things as satisfying as publishing a comic. So this week, since I have a rare week at my desk (and artwork to do, including a new commission of illustrations for Bible Society as well as starting the art for Book Of Esther, and writing more Socks Shakespeare) I have published not one but two. The first to go off to Ka-Blam to be printed is a 24 page comic of the Socks' Romeo & Juliet, the brand new cover art for which you can see above. A parody of which famous comic cover?

The strip inside is from the Socks' original 2008 comic collection, and I've repackaged it so, hopefully, we can sell it at gigs. If we manage to shift any during the Edinburgh Preview season, we may order a second print run for Edinburgh itself (currently only 50 copies are ordered, I'm not getting carried away too early).


The second comic to go to press is Hot Rod Cow issue 2. Largely in order to have something to show the kids at schools, I've drawn up a new 10 page story in my spare time (adapted from the unused Bananaman script "Suits"), and backed it up with the unseen Gladiators story "Lardiators", drawn by David Pugh, that we produced back in 1995 and which has never seen print before. This'll be a nice little novelty, and good to give it an airing. If we run into profit, Dave'll get half. I shall urge him not to hold his breath. LWT doubly so.

Both will go on sale at Indyplanet, where my previous publications have sold (in most cases) not a single copy (though Hot Rod Cow number 1 shifted a few units, thanks to a bulk order from a school last year).

I hopefully will never shake my nostalgic love for comics. And once I get stuck into editing, assembling and publishing them, I get an urge to book myself a table at every comic convention and get back into the game. You never know, maybe I will. In the meantime, if I sell out every copy of the comics I published today, I'm looking at a cool profit of 70 whole quid. You heard me, seventy big ones could me mine, clear profit. Oh yeah, I am a playa.


The Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre do Shakespeare at the Edinburgh Fringe August 2016 - see the previews in your town!

May 8 - Derby Comedy Festival 5.30pm
May 19 - Old Joint Stock Birmingham
May 22 - Komedia, Brighton Fringe
May 28 - Ards Puppet Festival, Newtonards
June 9 - Bridgend
July 3 - Derby Bar One 2pm 
July 8 - Flavel, Dartmouth
July 10 - Tring Festival 
July 14 - Market Harborough Theatre
July 17 - Greater Manchester Fringe 
July 21 - Barnes Fringe
July 22 - Bedford Fringe
July 30 - Blaenavon Rhymney Brewery
Aug 3 - 29 - 10.30pm The Gilded Balloon, Edinburgh Fringe 


Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres. After a morning or an afternoon every pupil goes away with a photocopied comic containing a strip by every single one of them, and an individual caricature by Kev F. Please email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the promo video  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...