Tuesday 16 June 2009

South Shields Socks Review

Hev just emailed me a review she'd found of the Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre in South Shields: http://www.shieldsgazette.com/show/Reviewed-Scottish-Falsetto-Sock-Puppet.5308813.jp


I thought for a dreadful moment that it was going to be a three star review, because her email was head "South Shield review xxx".

Turns out those were three kisses.

And talking of changing the subject, I'm staying with my parents for a couple of nights (they live in Leicestershire, yesterday's work was in Doncaster, tonight's is in Manchester, tomorrow's is in Birmingham, and I live near Bristol, you can work out the logistics). And a question just sprang to mind looking round their kitchen:

Are my Mum and Dad the only people in England to have a pulley in their kitchen? Pulleys, which hang from the ceiling and that you hang your clothes on to dry, are a very common sight in Scotland, especially in tenements, and Mum and Dad's started life in their first house in Aberdeen, where I was born. They then brought it with them as a matter of course to Leicestershire and it was only when neighbour after neighbour would remark on it that they realised pulleys were rare and possibly unknown in England.

Mind you, they might also be an artefact from a bygone age. I've had them in flats I've stayed in in Edinburgh, but those that have had more recent and fashionable makeovers have often dispensed with them. Maybe we've got a valuable antique.

Anyone know otherwise?

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...