Friday 21 March 2014

Still got it - me posing by flipcharts


Good to see I've not lost it. My ability to pose cheesily beside a flipchart drawing that is. Here we see flipchart pages, doodled on by me in the run up to my Comic Art Masterclasses in Croydon, Eastbank in Glasgow, and Largs. I like to leave everywhere I visit with a nifty memento to stick on the walls somewhere, and since I'm drawing this as the kids comes in, it demonstrates to them how easy it all is.


I do hope flipcharts and paper aren't totally on the way out. Increasingly schools rely on interactive white boards, which are all well and good but I do worry about their intangibility. I'm teaching kids how to draw things, with a pencil and a pen on a piece of paper, so I use a pencil and a pen on a piece of paper myself. And they are left with lots of lovely pieces of paper with pencil and pen on for them to treasure. Do some pixels floating in the air and stored on a memory stick have the same impact? I don't know, and I'm not in a hurry to find out.

Also, the number of primary schools I go to where, because they use the whiteboard so much, they have the blinds permanently drawn! Kids will be getting rickets and coming out like pasty troglodytes, just so the teacher can see a projection screen. Madness.


If you want me to come to your school, library, or art centre to teach comics, do please get in touch. Cheesy smiles come free.



Kev F Sutherland runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. He's been writing and drawing comics for 25 years, he must know something.




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...