Saturday 1 November 2014

Dennis in the Christmas Beano - behind the scenes

How chuffed am I to have written the lead story in this year's Beano Christmas special? And for it to be drawn by Nigel Parkinson is even better. A six pager starring Dennis, Minnie and sundry other Beano stars,  it's worth the entrance price on its own. But how did it look when I scribbled it out to send to the editor? I'm glad you asked...

On balance I think I prefer Nigel's version. (The rest was a typescript, I just provided a, probably unnecessary, layout sketch for the first page). Buy the Christmas Beano, on sale from all good newsagents now!

The last time I wrote a Dennis script for someone else to draw was way back in 2008 when I wrote a series of cover stories which were drawn by the great Tom Paterson during his brief stint as Beano cover artist. It was some nonsense about a mummified cat and, sadly, my name doesn't appear on it. If I ever find it in the files, I'll let you see it.



Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing Pansy Potter, Bananaman, Biffo The Bear et al in The Beano, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. He's been writing and drawing comics for 25 years, he must know something. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...