Friday 17 July 2015

Kentucky Fried Comics - new comics by schoolkids



When I'm working with year 7, 8, 9 and 10 in my Comic Art Masterclasses, they'll come up with titles that are either bewildering "in" and fashionable (for example the comic to the left is a line from a song by Drake. No, me neither) or predictably similar to each other (if I had a quid for every Vine-based suggestion like "deez nuts" and "my name is Jeff", which every 13 year old finds soooo hilarious). It's not the first time Kentucky Fried Comics has been suggested, I remember drawing it at a school a few years ago.


Likewise Barack O'Llama. When I first drew a Barack O'Llama cover based on kids suggestions (here, in October 2011),  I'm sure they were being totally original. Now I'm told it's a meme, or a song, or a Youtube video. It's certainly a teenage thing. Wanting your teacher on the cover happens a lot too, as it did here.


There you go, llamas again. What are the chances? These 6 groups, who went away with these photocopied comics in their hands, containing a comic strip by each of them and an individual caricature by me, were all asked to name a celebrity for me to put in my "Treads on a worm" demonstration strip and nominated Kim Kardashian (three times), Beyonce, Nicki Minaj, and, most originally, Joseph Stalin.




Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the promo video here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...