Friday 10 June 2016

Rooney Loves McDonalds - new comics by kids in Ealing & Phillipstown


Toilets will never go out of fashion with primary school kids. Don't ask me why. And when you show them one class's comic with toilets in the title, suddenly you're flush with them. As it were. Still the kids in my Comic Art Masterclasses can always teach me something. In this instance, they've taught me of the existence of DJ Khaled, of whom I had no knowledge, but who came up twice as the suggestion for a celebrity for my demonstration strip. This was Mayfield Primary in Ealing.


Or Hanwell. Mayfield were quite happy with either address, so during the three days I spent there, working with their year 3s, 4s, 5s and 6s, you'll see comics with both addresses, and the more neutral W7, in the bottom right hand corner. The kids take away A5 black and white photocopied comics, containing a strip by every one of them, an an individual caricature, and these colourised versions are just a little nicety I do after the fact.




Oh and foreheads are funny, apparently. Last week in Barking, all the kids were obsessed with "your hairline", the phrase making it onto one of their front covers, and this week it was the forehead. I neither know nor care where this comes from.


And just when I'm extolling the originality of the kids, we get the year 3/4s in Phillipstown, who I visited 18 months ago, and who came up with a variation on the same title their predecessors had. Then it was Scary Teacher, featuring a picture of Miss Dowd, and this time as you can see.


The celebrities they chose to tread on a worm were DJ Khaled (twice), The Queen, William Boody (the alias of a wrestler called Paul Bearer, apparently), Will I Am, Donald Trump and Lionel Messi (one group skipped the whole worm thing, because I'd had them last year so we did something different).





Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres. After a morning or an afternoon every pupil goes away with a photocopied comic containing a strip by every single one of them, and an individual caricature by Kev F. Please email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the promo video  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...