Monday 31 October 2016

Supporting Muscle to catching colds - a month's diary


I've had a busy month, doing a bit of everything I do, and have hardly got round to updating my diary. So a quick trawl through October to see what I've missed. Starting with Phil Nichol's Muscle. How could I forget getting an early glimpse of Phil Nichol's Muscle? He's formed a rock band, and the Socks supported him on their very first gig, in Bristol, along with Andrew O'Neill and Angie Belcher, in front of a pretty small audience. That was Sunday 2nd October.



My travels started with Socks in Croydon, then 2 days in Dublin teaching in Tallaght & Clongowes Wood (try finding that by satnav, or even Google maps, by the way), then all the way up to Nelson in Lancashire for the Socks to play a Headline slot, then down to Kibworth for an overnight with Mum, then a day's classes in Countesthorpe and home. We're only up to October 8th.


The Feeding Of The 5000 4 page strip went from commission to delivery this month, and the pencilling of the 28 page Book Of Esther. I'm really proud of this work, writing funny gags, telling good stories (albeit adapted from the Bible) and doing some nifty art. I would love to do a lot more of this.


Heather has joined me on my travels a few times, including this pleasant excursion to the Isle Of Wight for two days of schools as part of the IOW Literary Festival. Sadly we couldn't stay for the Friday night bash this time as I had to zoom off to Thame for another Lit Fest. I have worked on every Saturday in October.


The 3rd week of October is the only one I've bothered to record in my blog, the week where I lost my voice, cancelled a Socks gig, and travelled from 3 Bridges to London to Barton On Humber to Manchester Literary Festival, every bit of work squeezed out of a croaky throat. This was also the week I got the Beano and Dandy annuals and was able to see just how well my scripts had survived the legendary DC Thomson sub-editing process. Oh yes, and I had my 55th birthday, with no time to actually celebrate it.



And for the last week of October I took it easy. Just a drive to Ipswich for classes (this sculpture is in the corridor of the Holiday Inn in Ipswich), then Norfolk for a Socks gig in a steam engine museum, then home. (The following week takes me back to Ipswich, Kibworth, Canterbury, Nuneaton, and Watford. But that's next week).



Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the promo video here



TOUR DATES 2017
Feb 15 - Buxton Pavilion Arts Centre Studio 
Feb 17 & 18 6.50pm - Kayal, Leicester Comedy Fest
March 9 - Aberystwyth Arts Centre
March 15 & 16 - Dram! Glasgow Com Fest
March 23 - The Bill Murray, London
Apr 6 - Victoria Theatre Halifax
Apr 8 - Rondo Bath 
Apr 13 - Hexham Queen Hall 
Apr 22 - Swindon Arts 
Apr 27 - Stroud Subscription Rooms 
Apr 28 - Merlin Theatre Frome 
May 5 - Artrix Bromsgrove
May 6 - Stafford Gatehouse
May 13 (4.30pm) & May 14 (5.30pm) Komedia Brighton
May 19 - Carriageworks Leeds
June 2 - Eden Ct Inverness
June 15 - Crescent Arts, Belfast
June 17 - Dalkey Festival, Dublin

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...