Wednesday 8 February 2017

Shrek Hugs Kermit - new comics by kids


The first comics of the year from my Comic Art Masterclasses have taken a month to emerge, largely thanks to me being busy at my desk drawing actual comic strips for a living. For a change. So only one day of classes in January, and now I'm into the swing of February. (You wait till you see the coming months. Some weeks I'm not out of schools from weekend to weekend, so let's make the most of this oasis of calm shall we?)



On the very first day of this year's classes (above, at Kings School Worcester) we had the first appearance of something that's going to become a trope we might not see the back of for a while. Donald Trump. Last year he was on more than 25 front covers, this year he's already cropped up on 2 out of 6.


I can never tell when a comic title, as suggested by the kids in each class, is going to inspire a good looking cover. I draw them quickly, during the class or occasionally at breaktime, and there's no time for a second stab if it doesn't work out. So, what I'm saying is, I'm well pleased when something like Shrek Hugs Kermit emerges. That second title, Whallabanasakayapanteyosemak, sounds for all the world like a real place name, but is just some random gibberish dreamt up by a Primary 6 (year 5) pupil in Denny, near Falkirk.


I've just spent two days teaching Newly Qualified Teachers how to do what I do, and how to teach how to do what I do. They came up with Michael Gove (nothing to do with schools any more, I hope, but fun to draw) and penguins. Good on them.





The celebrities these six classes chose for my demonstration strip were Donald Trump (twice), Simon Cowell, Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson, David Walliams, and Daniel Craig.

I have a few Comic Art Masterclasses coming up in spring 2017 that are open to the public. Book now, they'll most likely sell out quickly.




Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the promo video here.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...