Friday 24 November 2017

Who Lives In A Pineapple Under A Pineapple? - comics by kids


This has been a week of teaching comics to older pupils, a opposed to the many primary school kids that take up most of my teaching schedule. And you'll see a adolescent choice of title and subject matter sometimes. These two, from years 7 and 8s in St Josephs Hexham and Haydon Bridge, include my favourite title of the week, and one that skated close to cyber-bullying (Michael was one of the pupils' dads) but got away with it.


In Seaton Sluice and Seaton Delavel, Northumberland, food was the order of the day. Delightfully, they were familiar with Mr Creosote from Monty Python's Meaning Of Life.




In Coleg Ceredigion I was surprised to find myself teaching sixth formers, and a couple older than that, which was a nice change. They laugh at slightly different things, but proved to me that what I teach and the way I teach it is pretty adaptable. And they can mis-spell just as badly as year 3s, as I Lik Bikes Dennis demontrated.


The celebrities these six groups chose for my demonstration strip were Boris Johnson, Morgan Freeman, Michael Jackson, Benedict Cumberbatch, a mixed martial arts fighter called Connor McGreggor, and, er, Anne Frank.

Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the promo video here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...