Saturday 7 April 2018

Alan to Chucky - new comics by kids


Aha! It's the Easter holidays, so this week's Comic Art Masterclasses have been in some unusual extra-scholastic settings. The above pair of comics were produced with kids in the Swansgate shopping centre in Wellingborough. I'm pretty sure the kid who wrote the title "Alan" on a bit of paper, and ended up having it chosen as the group's favourite, didn't have this particular Alan in mind. (In fact I suspect he was trying to write, and misspelled, the word Alien).


On Friday I did Easter holiday classes in Chingford and Walthamstow, both of which had a slight impromptu nature about them, with kids wandering in and out. Regardless of which we managed to produce a couple of good looking comics. I was particularly pleased with Spiderball Vs Chucky once I got home and coloured it up.



Another pair of comics from the Swansgate in Wellingborough. We were very lucky in having access to the photocopier, which meant I was able to send all the kids away with their A5 comic containing a strip by every one of them, and all of their caricatures.


Given the chance, that is if I arrive early enough in the day, I like the draw a flipchart to leave them with. Some of these find a good home in the schools I visit, and occasionally, when they've not found a more deserving claimant, a lucky kid gets to take one home. One of the above from Wellingborough is now in a child's collection somewhere.


The celebrities these six groups chose to appear in my demonstration strip were Simon Cowell, Kevin Hart, Michael Jackson (twice), Donald Trump, and The Queen.

Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the promo video here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...