Monday 26 November 2018

Christmas Cardathon - Teasers


This year I have drawn a record number of Christmas cards for people, and I have to say I'm rather happy with what I've churned out. Obviously it would be wrong to spoil the surprise for anyone who's about to receive this little lot, so I hope you'll be happy with these tiny teasers from the yet-to-be-opened Christmas cards I've had a hand in. Starting with the above excerpt from a mega card, a front-and-back colour spread featuring nearly 100 different representations of the season as suggested by the sender's family and friends. If you're one of that number you're in for a treat.


This one was for a group of friends who are fans of a certain TV show. I don't know if you can make out a rift in time and a classic sonic and console there in the background? There was a lot of that sort of thing in there.


No surprise whose card this comes from. When you see the full panorama of this mega production, let's see how many people are still able to spot the Bath Comedy Festival Best Joke Award tucked away there in the background.


This card's not actually finished yet. It's for a client for whom I've been drawing the card for more than a decade now. I've got used to the fact that it'll go through a few more changes before it's finished (this is already the fourth version of Santa's face, and he's not even the star of the card.)


UPDATE: What did I say about this card? Since I posted this blog yesterday they've had me redraw Santa's face yet again. Here's the latest version. 


Here's the sort of job I love, a client who knows what she wants, writes some funny word play, and keeps my bit of it dead simple. Drawing bags of crisps and Mickey Mouse is my idea of fun.


This isn't strictly a Christmas card, but I drew it last week for an end of year presentation, so let's count it shall we? It's for a school near Dublin that does a golf related event. They're supposed to be famous golfers, but I'll be the first to admit it quite possibly doesn't look like any of them.


Since they've put it online themselves I guess there's no harm in you seeing this in full. It's the cover art for The Sound Of Thunder podcast's Christmas Special, available as a CD which is whose sleeve this art will be adorning. One of two cards this year that required drawings of both Dickens and Scrooge, what were the chances?


And last but by no means least, a card that's particularly close to my heart, taking a dozen drawings by Mum and assembling them into a finished design, devised by her. You'll love this when you see it.

Anyone else want their Christmas cards drawing? You may have left it too late. But don't forget to get your dibs in for next year. I started this lot back in October.


Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the promo video here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...