Friday 12 April 2024

Mewlicious Sigma - Comics by kids in Ireland (part 1)


A lovely week of schools in Ireland, expertly organised by Martina, the librarian at St Aidans. And ironically the one school I didn't end up visiting was blooming St Aidans. Sorry Martina, how did that happen? The week goes Dublin, Dublin, Kerry, Dublin, Dublin, so I was kept busy.


We began the week at New Cross in Finglas, which I've not visited for a few years. It was a good return visit, and Ciaran the librarian bought 4 copies of my book, for which I was most grateful. No grateful in fact that I let him get away with squeezing three groups into the day. Yes, on Monday I worked with 90 kids and we produced three whole comics.


It was the First Years of New Cross that introduced me to the concept of the Sigma male. It's a meme that they find hilarious, and is at the very least problematic. Whatever, we got away with it. As for the word Zesty, and why every subsequent First Year group  has found it so funny, I remain none the wiser.


Jamal, as chosen by the First Years of Killinarden in Tallaght, is another distasteful meme. I'd go so far as to call it racist. But luckily I think I got away with it by drawing basketball player Jamal Murray. As for Daddy Pig's foot fetish? First years are Year 8s, with all that entails.

The celebrities these first five groups chose to appear in my demonstration strip were Drake - FOUR TIMES!!!! and also Jojo Siwa (of whom I had never heard before, she's a singer apparently).

The week in Ireland continues...


My Books and where to get them:

Richard The Third Amazon - Etsy - Barnes & Noble - Waterstones
Findlay Macbeth - Amazon  - Etsy 
Prince Of Denmark Street - Amazon - Etsy - Kindle
Midsummer Nights Dream Team  - Amazon Etsy 
Shakespeare Omnibus Collection (all 3 books) - Amazon

Tales From The Bible - Amazon -  Etsy - Webtoons
The Book Of Esther - Lulu  - Amazon Webtoons
Joseph, Ruth & Other Stories - Lulu
Captain Clevedon - Amazon
Tales Of Nambygate - Amazon  



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...