Tuesday 19 June 2018

Happy is a man who's got his graph back


I recently had my laptop re-zhoozhed (how DO you spell that word? To zhoozh something up? Anyway, that's how I spell it) by Tantra computers, so I now have the latest operating system, which means all my programmes have had to be re-installed. And some are reinstalled more successfully than others. I've already had fun trying to open old Quark Xpress docs in the new version for example (I have to use the 2016 version to open the Socks performance scripts now), and the latest glitch I've found is with Microsoft Word.

I've essentially been using and updating the same Graph of my Socks sales figures for Edinburgh since I made it back in 2007. It's travelled through two, maybe three laptops, and who knows how many upgrades. But this time it was just failing to open. For a couple of weeks I've been trying and getting frustrated, and meanwhile I've been able to see my sales figures for Edinburgh - via the wonderful Red61 system - trickling in since sometime back in April (it may even have been March. Tickets have definitely been on sale for longer this year than ever before). In short I was desperate to get those figures turned into a graph.


And so it was that, this week, I went back to square one and started a brand new Chart in Microsoft Excel. The only way I could access my past ten years of sales figures was to open the old graph on my old laptop - the white MacBook that I replaced in 2014 - take screen grabs of the figures and print them out. I then had to type in manually every daily sales figure for every Socks show since 2007 till the present day. And do you know what, it was quite therapeutic. And fun to know that I have a chart that, for this year at least, works.

And the best news? 2018's Superheroes show is currently outselling 2016's Shakespeare show at the same point that year. As you'll remember from graph analyses gone by, ever since 2013 our shows have ended up selling pretty much exactly the same number of tickets by the end of August. But there's always the potential for more, so let's make this year the great big biggie shall we?


The Award Winning* Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre are Superheroes at The Gilded Balloon at the Edinburgh Fringe from August 1st to 26th - ON SALE NOW! 

*Winners of the Bath Comedy Festival Lovehoney Best Joke Award 2018


Previews:

June 20 - Ludlow Fringe
July 11 - Neath Comedy Festival
July 19 - Bedford Fringe
July 29 - Derby Bar One

July 29 - Sheffield New Barrack Tavern
 - with more preview dates to be announced

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...