Sunday 9 June 2019

World War Duck & 100 Barts - comics by kids


Every year, for longer than I can remember, Colmore Juniors in Kings Heath in Birmingham have had me in to do two days of classes with their Year Fives, of whom there are four groups. They're always a joy to work with, and these are the comics they produced.


Day two at Colmore and I had fun drawing step-and-repeat Barts, and Bob from Bob's Burgers. Easier than thinking up anything of my own.


Best cover of the week came from this class at Beavers Community Primary in Hounslow. As ever, this cracking cover took no longer to draw than the ones I'm disappointed with. Then when I coloured it, at home later, I chanced to drop in photo backgrounds and suddenly they were outstanding. Oh if my cheap art were so successful every time. These were the two groups with whom I made the slightly more serious Hounslow Histories comic (see here). But rather than make the cover about the main topic, I let them go wild on it, and this is what we got. And ain't I glad.


The celebs these groups to appear in my demonstration strip were Donald Trump (twice), Nicki Minaj, Michael Jackson and Kim Kardashian.


Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries & art centres. email for details. Facebook, Twitter. Promo video here 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...