Wednesday 13 November 2019

Super Wotsits - comics by kids


My travels in the last week have taken me from Cornwall to Northumberland via Wiltshire and the West Midlands. We began at Salisbury Arts Centre with the two groups that produced these delightful little creations.


In Launceston in Cornwall, which isn't as far away as I thought it was going to be, the year 4 and 5s proved very games-oriented. I believe these titles both come from Fortnite, but really how am I ever supposed to know what the kids are talking about?


On Saturday I did an afternoon at the YMCA Comic Con in Birmingham, which was a small scale affair that saw me drawing caricatures and running through whatever bits of teaching I could manage, as they dropped in and dropped out. The time flew by and the kids had a fab time, though we didn;t manage to get a comic done. So here's the flipchart from there, and a from a few days later in Alnwick.


Two days in Northumberland courtesy Hexham Book Festival, my most regular bookers, began at two middle schools in Hexham, where the kids were quite challenging but ultimately triumphed with these two cracking creations.


Then in Alnwick & Amble, the two groups at two different schools came up with these classics. It was a shame that the whistle-stop nature of my travels, and the fact that I was staying at a hotel on the outskirts, meant I didn't have time to take in the beauties of picturesque Alnwick, or indeed the fascinating old buildings I passed on the way to Amble. Stop and smell the flowers boy. Says he, spending four hours in the airport colouring comics waiting for his flight, which isn't till nine o clock at night.


The celebrities these nine groups (including the YMCA group on Saturday, though they made no comic) chose to tread on a worm in my demonstration strip were Bruno Tonioli, Craig Revel-Horwood, Cristiano Ronaldo, Naga Munchetty, Millie Bobby Brown, Roald Dahl, Kanye West, Michael Jackson and John Wayne - quite the most diverse week of suggestions of the year, I'd say.


Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries & art centres. email for details. Facebook, TwitterPromo video here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...