Monday 20 January 2020

Announcing Findlay Macbeth



Is this a graphic novel that I see before me, its spine towards my hand? It soon will be. By the pricking of my thumbs, something comic this way comes, and it’s called Findlay Macbeth.

Hi I’m Kev F the Comic Artist. You probably know me from my work in The Beano (Bash St Kids, Bananaman, Billy The Cat et al) or on less famous work like Captain Clevedon, Hot Rod Cow, & the comic versions of The Scottish Falsetto Sock Puppet Theatre; or my humorous adaptations of Bible stories like The Book of Esther, Ruth, Joseph and Jael Wife Of Heber (coming out soon). If you’re old enough you’ll remember me from Oink!, Doctor Who, and Marvel comics, or you might have seen me on TV, on The Apprentice and The One Show.

And lots of you will know me from my Comic Art Masterclasses which I’ve been taking into schools for a few years now, teaching kids age 7 & up how easy it is to write and draw comics.

Well now I’m producing the thing you’ve all been waiting for, a brand new full length graphic novel - Findlay Macbeth.


It’s my comic strip adaptation of Shakespeare’s tragedy like you’ve never seen it before. I’ve brought my comedy storytelling approach to bear on the bard, in a comedy thriller giving the familiar take a unique spin.

Findlay Macbeth is a mild mannered unassuming salesman working for a small company in Scotland in 1977, and his wife Linda is an aspirational social climber. But a life of Ford Cortinas, shagpile carpets and fondue based dinner parties is turned on its heavily-hairsprayed head when the chance of becoming the new Managing Director passes him by, and Mr and Mrs Macbeth embark on a plan for success which turns out like no-one could have wanted.

This 120 page graphic novel is written and drawn by me, and aims to be suitable for readers of all ages - well, let’s just say, if you’re old enough to watch Macbeth you’re old enough to read this. Blending 1970s sitcom and crime dramas with the classic tale of ambition, it’s Abigail’s Party meets The Scottish Play meets Asterix, Naruto, Watchmen and The Beano and I hope you’re going to like it.


Come you spirits who tend on mortal thoughts and help me bring Findlay Macbeth to fruition via my Kickstarter (to come), where you can simply pre-order a copy, or - if you’re feeling full of the milk of human kindness - you can get special extra bonuses and even appear in the book by supporting the project a little bit more.

Tomorrow and tomorrow and tomorrow creeps on this petty pace from day to day, but trust me, I’ll get this tale told by an idiot finished and published, with your help. Watch this damned spot, it’ll be out out soon enough.

Thankyou

Kev F







Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries & art centres. email for details. Facebook, Twitter. Promo video here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...