Wednesday 11 August 2021

LeBum Germs - comics by kids from Enniskillen to Chingford

My first flights since Feb 2020 came this week, and saw me soaring back to the Ardhowen Theatre in Enniskillen. Remind me to write a blog about how the costs of travel made this my least profitable classes since the pandemic began, but it's good to get out of the house and the kids were marvellous.

I did four classes across two days in the Ardhowen, the plan having been to do four days of classes (hence me agreeing to travel which, divided across fewer days of classes, ate into the profits more than they would have, not that I'm obsessed by that fact) and the kids came up with some of my favourite titles for ages. We also had a good long uninterrupted time for every class, which meant I could put detail into the covers, and even do them some special drawings on the flipchart. (Not my flipchart, I could spare the paper as well as the time). 

Here's the Queen having fun. Other flipchart nonsense is in the montage below.

I have a series of visits to classes in East London coming up, courtest of Mandy and Waltham Forest's Summer Schools, which I usually miss because of Edinburgh. Last year she was able to organise some of my earliest online classes. This year the visits began with Parkside primary in Chingford, who came up with the above idea. 


Zoom classes still contine, as we can see from this one organised by Colchester and Ipswich Museums. It's harder to get the punters in, now the summer's here and live activities are back, but I can tell you I was delighted to only have to travel to the back room for this one-off session, rather than drive 10 hours to Ipswich and back!

The celebrities these 7* groups chose to tread on a worm in my demonstration strip (*Space Jam was one cover contributed to by two groups) were Sky Brown (Olympic skateboarder), Stan Lee, Billie Eilish, Boris Johnson, Tom Holland, Justin Bieber, and Michael Jordan.


Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who, and graphic novels adapted from Shakespeare, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and TwitterHe is the host of the podcast Comic Cuts The Panel Show

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...