Saturday 31 July 2021

Killer Unicorns - comics by kids from Kings Lynn to Shrewsbury

At time of writing, this collection of comic covers is missing a vital component - the comic made by kids in the Comic Salopia class in Shrewsbury. Not only did I fail to take a photo of the cover before I took it to the photocopier (the colour versions you see in these blogs were all coloured from snaps taken on my phone) but the, horror of horror, I left behind in Shrewsbury my priceless display book containing the only copies of all the comics I've made with classes in the last 6 months. Luckily Shane (Chebsey) found it, and it's going to be mailed back to me. So, in the meantime, you have to settle for the images above, supplemented by a shot of my display table in Shrewbury (with my banner which lasted only a few minutes before the wind necessitated taking it down), and my drawing caricatures at Howard School in Kings Lynn.

Howard Juniors only produced one comic, as the morning was taken up with caricaturing at their end of term awards. The other three comics come from the Zoom classes I did this week (in between the days of live classes at Backwell). It was odd to be back on the Zoom screen, knowing that it's not strictly necessary any more, but it was good to be relieved of more driving. So it was that I didn't need to go all the way to Plymouth on Tuesday for two classes, and North Yorkshire on Wednesday for just one class.

The celebrities these four groups chose to appear in my demo strip were Isaac Newton, Phil Foden (a footballer, I'm told), Emma Watson, and Barack Obama (I can't remember Shrewsbury's choice, hopefully I'll remember when I get my display book back).


Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who, and graphic novels adapted from Shakespeare, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and TwitterHe is the host of the podcast Comic Cuts The Panel Show

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...