Thursday 10 March 2022

Friendly Neighbourhood Ibrahim - comics by kids at Somerville

It was a busy week, the last days of February and the first days of March. Not only was it World Book Week, a week on the calendar which I could book solid ten times over with Comic Art Masterclasses, but it was also the week Hev & I moved house.

So, while I was luxuriating over in Small Heath in Birmingham, teaching the pupils of Somerville Primary School for three days, Hev was packing boxes and, on Wednesday, overseeing the mega-packing of boxes by the blokes from Hobdens - who had their work cut out with all of our stuff, they had never seen so many books before. I got it easy. The only extra task I had was, during a slightly extended Wednesday lunchtime, I had to go into a branch of HSBC in person to make a payment of over £60k to our solicitor. Who knew you couldn't make such big payments online? We found out the day before, made the payment on packing day, and moved the next day. As I say, I had the easy job, being out of the house teaching kids comics.

I was teaching years 3 and 4, and they came up with some splendid titles for the group comics. Master Demon is probably my favourite of the covers I drew as a result.

Little Cute Kitty was a good example of a comic where the kids' suggestion enables me to do a nifty demonstration drawing on the front cover, talking them through the process as we go. 

Friendly Neighbourhood Ibrahim was one of those ones that, with an older group, you might suspect of being a cyber-bullying title. But here it was very much a celebration of one of the class, and an idea we'd all busked together earlier in the session. Year 3 and 4 are always so ineffably pleasant to each other, one wonders why it all goes to pot by year 8 and they turn into monsters.

The celebrities these six groups chose to appear in my demonstration strip were Ariana Grande, Michael Jackson (twice), Billie Eilish, Tom Holland, and one that I didn't make a note of, sadly.


Buy the books:


The Comic Book Of Esther

Top 20 David Bowie

Top 20 Scottish Pop

Top 20 Rom Coms

Top 20 80s Pop Superstars

Top 20 Christmas Movies

Queens Of Pop


Pop Star Colouring Annual with 50 images from 70s to now




No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...