Wednesday 10 May 2023

How Grandad Took On The British Army - comics by kids


 My travels with my Comic Art Masterclasses in the past week have taken me from Berwick On Tweed to Wakefield to County Kerry in Ireland. If ever the phrase 'distance no object' was well used, it was in describing my classes so far this month.


Stanley Library in Wakefield organised classes with pupils from the primary school next door, and the resulting comics were a treat, including as they did the first example of Rick-rolling on a front cover.


Tweedmouth Middle, who have had me in a number of times now, are about as far north as you can go without being in Scotland, in Berwick On Tweed, which was a hell of a drive home. But worth it, to come away with such marvellous comic creations.


My second visit to Ireland this year took me, for the first time, to County Kerry. I wish I'd had time to see more of the place, cos it's a picturesque part of the country. Though perhaps the area around Causeway school, near Ballyheigue, is not the most bustling. If you want to get away from it all, this would be where you go to. And by golly they know their history and politics, as evidenced by the two titles they came up with for their group comics. 


Killorglin is a slightly busier area which, if it hadn't been lashing down with rain, I'd have liked to see more of, before I had to head off back on my four hour drive across country to the airport. And didn't the second years come up with a couple of grand titles for their comics?

The celebrities these eight classes chose to star in my demonstration strip were: Elon Musk, Jenna Ortega, Kim Kardashian, Michael Jackson, Freddie Mercury, Ryan Reynolds, Michael Healy-Rae (their local TD), and Eoghan O'Brien (one of the pupils, the one that also featured in the title - I think some others in the class were hoping they were doing cyber-bullying there, but it ended up with young Eoghan being the star of the class).

My Books and where to get them:

Findlay Macbeth - Amazon  - Etsy 
Prince Of Denmark Street - Amazon - Etsy 
Midsummer Nights Dream Team  - Amazon Etsy 
Shakespeare Omnibus Collection (all 3 books) - Amazon
Tales From The Bible - Amazon -  Etsy 

Eurovision Colouring Vol 1 Amazon -  Lulu  - Etsy 
Eurovision Colouring Vol 2 - Amazon  - Lulu  - Etsy 

Eurovision French edition - édition en français
Eurovision Spanish edition - Libro para colorear
Eurovision German edition - Popstar Malbuch
Eurovision Italian edition - il libro da colorare 
Eurovision Swedish edition - Popstjärna Målarbok
Eurovision Colouring Best Of British - Amazon

Doctor Who Colouring - Amazon - Lulu  - Etsy 
Punk Colouring - Amazon  - Lulu  - Etsy 
60s Pop Star Colouring - Amazon  - Lulu  - Etsy 
70s Pop Star Colouring - Amazon  - Lulu  - Etsy 
80s Pop Star Colouring Amazon
80s Superstars - Amazon
90s Pop Star Colouring Lulu - Etsy
2020s Pop Star Colouring Amazon
Bowie Colouring - Amazon
Scottish Pop Star Colouring - Amazon
Rom Com Colouring - Amazon
Royalty Colouring - Lulu
Christmas Movies Colouring - Amazon

NB: Etsy editions are signed and posted by me, and generally cheaper 


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...