Friday 6 October 2023

Poopy Doo Doo Heads - comics by kids to & from The Lakes


My annual trip to the excellent Lakes Comic Festival is an opportunity for me to hone my scheduling skills and see if I car arrange a string of schools en route up to The Lakes and then back home. This year I did better than most, if you consider Newcastle, Kendal, Bowness, York, Carnforth and Leeds to be a good trajectory. And by golly didn't they come up with some of the best comic titles ever?

The trip north began with Prudhoe Primary near Newcastle, whose comics you can see in the previous blog. Here are the comics from Old Hutton Primary in Kendal. Which, I was delighted to find, was the school the Audrey, Hev's mum, was evacuated to during the war. I just taught in my mother in law's school from 80 year ago. How brilliant is that? 

I was even ambitious enough to challenge one group with their drawings on the cover. These covers are drawn by me during the class, then the kids adda small doodle each while they're waiting for me to draw all their caricatures. Usually they just squeeze a random picture into the spaces left for them, but the Oh Shut Up class rose to the task of drawing themselves as if in an audience. I think we got away with it.

Having done Prudhoe on Wednesday and Old Hutton on Thursday, Friday was devoted to desk work in my hotel room then performing the Scottish Falsetto Socks: Superheroes a part of the festival. The there were two days of standing behind my table selling books and art (which I did a record-breaking amount of, might I say), plus my team winning the Pub Quiz on the Saturday night (see blog elsewhere, if I get round to it). The on Monday I was over on the other side of the country at Hempland Primary in York (above).


 The only glitch in my scheduling was getting York and Carnforth in the wrong order, Carnforth being back in the Lake District where I'd spent the weekend, and York being annoyingly close to Leeds. I could have saved my self two and half hours of driving every night if I'd sorted that out properly. But, my being knackered by all the travelling notwithstanding, Nether Kellet Primary in Carnforth came up with some cracking comics.

As did Allerton High, on the final day of my Northern mini tour. By the end of which I had successfully caught myself a cold, my second of the year, and very nearly lost my voice again during these classes, as I ddi on the final day of my Northern Ireland tour in August. I guess the lesson is don't do six successive days in confined spaces, breathing the air of a couple of hundred different schoolkids. Especially when you compound that with two days in a particularly humid tent breathing the exhalations of a few thousand tourists. I am my own worst enemy.

The celebrities these eight groups chose to star in my demonstration strip were Taylor Swift (three times), King Charles, Donald Trump, Ed Sheeran, Kim Kardashian, and Dwayne The Rock Johnson.

My Books and where to get them:

Findlay Macbeth - Amazon  - Etsy 
Prince Of Denmark Street - Amazon - Etsy 
Midsummer Nights Dream Team  - Amazon Etsy 
Shakespeare Omnibus Collection (all 3 books) - Amazon

Richard The Third Pre-order on Amazon

Tales From The Bible - Amazon -  Etsy 
The Book Of Esther - Lulu  - Amazon 
Captain Clevedon - Amazon

Tales Of Nambygate - Amazon  

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...