Sunday 4 August 2019

Midnight gig, family meal & another sellout


Obviously starting with the important bit, here's the brand new SOLD OUT board at the Gilded Balloon's Patter Hoose, and we're on it with Saturday being our second sellout of the season.

Full disclosure it was in fact a technical sellout, which means we were 5 short of a total sellout (which we'd managed on Friday) by dint of those press tickets and venue comps that don't get released till 8.30, an hour before curtains up. But a slot on the Sold Out board is good enough for me. Coupled with the fact that it was the best show yet, with the audience taking a little winning round at the start, but then when we had them they were the greatest, laughing right to the end. The Impov suggestion was Lion Taming (again, it is by far and away the most popular suggestion) but we varied it up with a play on what our rubbish roars sounded like, and the payoff of the Cher gag, which worked because it wasn't the only funny thing.


Then, with just time enough to change my sodden t shirt (yes my venue is still that hot, my tshirt is a saturated rag by the end) and to swap the Socks for the pair I do videos with (the Socks themselves are similarly unuseable until they've been dried out overnight), I did an extra gig. A ten minute slot at Vagabonds Of Comedy in the Counting House, at the request of Imaan Hadchiti (pictured) who I've known for years but, amazingly, never gigged with till now. A fun slot, marred only slightly for me by a comment from the comic on after me (a Liverpudlian whose name I didn't get) who mentioned that he was watching my set from the side so all he could see was "a fifty year old bloke"). I mean, I know technically he's shaved a few years off there, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone refer to me by my now excessive old age. Gone are the days when people would assume I'm way younger than I am. Sigh.


Before all of which we had a bit of a family get together in a pizza restaurant in the West End. Irene and Diana & her family joined Jude et al and Hev & me for a lovely meal and chat. Diana's kids, James and Natalie, are nice and entertaining and we whiled away the time effortlessly, talking about everything and nothing. Hopefully I'll see them at the show in the week.


All of which excitement, which also included writing, recording and filming the Oor Wullie video, left little time for much else, yet somehow I managed to get nearly two hours of flyering in. In the blazing hot sun which we've enjoyed all week and which, the rain at midnight suggested, will be coming to an end soon. We're enjoying it while it lasts at what has been, so far (5 days in) a much more enjoyable Fringe than last year, and more fun than I remember for a few years.



Until August 25th, The Scottish Falsetto Socks ROLL UP! at the Gilded Balloon Patter Hoose 9.30pm, every night of the Edinburgh Fringe 2019. Sexy new venue, sexy new timeslot. Book now!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...