Wednesday 2 December 2020

Alternative covers for my books


Seeing the books in WH Smiths at the weekend, I was struck by the cliched look of the covers. Then it struck me that they were all in Smiths, and selling in whopping numbers, and mine aren't. So I came up with redesigns of my three books. Not only tweaking the covers to look more conventional, but also slightly amending the credits (in the mould of James Patterson, who seems to make his name big on the cover, followed in smaller type by the co-writer who, one assumes, did most of the actual work but is not the name that sells).

Ooh, that one needs tweaking again doesn't it? His feet should go off the edge of the page, or the street should be further up to meet them, Or something.


Feedback to the new designs has been mostly positive. Here's a taste. In answer to the question, do we like it..?


Andy Williams I think it's a stronger cover.

Declan Hill Yep, like it.

Hazel Hall Yes

Vince Stadon Nice!

Hayden Cohen 2 things. Have you tried the new background but with the full colour Macbeth? It may make it pop. Also can you not AB test on Amazon and it’ll print either or?

Andy Winter Think Shakespeare being so bold on the cover might put some people off...

Rick Cowling Got to be honest, it looks a lot like the generic thriller covers I used to see in distributor catalogues every month. I can see why you may want rework the cover if you think it's a sticking point though.

Leo Wright I quite like the original personally, as I think it pops more, but I like what you have done here,

Derek Brettle I like it but would keep the the stanley knife and blood vivid red.

Scott Barr Cool

Dean Powell Yes, the new one 👍

Chris Okse Oxenbury I like v2 I know what you’re doing with the wallpaper but it screams magic eye picture to me and the characters in the background get lost.

Ger Apeldoorn I would say yes.

Richard Hayes Like it! I would suggest including the vivid red blood on the hands and knife though.

Chris Okse Oxenbury Richard Hayes good idea

John Earwaker Gives a different slant, what about also ‘interpreted by..’

Audrey Tweed To be flippant it reads rather like a poster for the Glasgow Empire 🙀but it is eye catching .John Earwakers idea sounds good.

Jude Sutherland I like it.

Jeremy Dixon I think it’s going to stand out more than the original and work at a smaller size, but I’d have the title first (and letter-kern the L and A), with the author names smaller. And perhaps you could do something with the author names that is a bit more hu… See More

Steve Way Most thrillers have back views And mist come to think of it..?

Felicity Harper Yes, I like it.

John Jackson Top one has more mood.. Other ones got a busy background

Nathan Mangosmoothie Viney Both r good 😮

Shane Chebsey I do like that actually

Laura Templeton I think it really works. And agree with the comment about the red Stanley knife

Steve MacManus Yes.

Anthony Miller No reason you only have to have one cover. Harry Potter had two - one for adults and one for children.

Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries & art centres - AND NOW ONLINE VIA ZOOMemail for details. His debut graphic novels Findlay Macbeth , The Prince Of Denmark Street and The Midsummer Night's Dream Team are available on Amazon. Follow Kev on Facebook, Twitter. Promo video here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...