Wednesday 26 March 2014

Under Pans - new comics by kids

These are the front covers of the comics produced by pupils in my Comic Art Masterclasses in Cambridgeshire, Glasgow, Croydon, Largs and Henley On Thames. As always, everyone in the class writes a title down on a piece of paper and we choose the best through a fast-moving knockout competition. So the above nine titles are the best from around 270 suggestions, every one a gem. I design the covers, they all add a drawing to it while I'm doing their individual caricatures, and then I run off an A5 comic containing every one of their comic strips inside. The nice orangey colouring has been added by me after the fact. I can work miracles, yes, but there are limits.

The celebrities they chose for the demonstration story were Simon Cowell (twice), Keith Lemon, Jonathan Ross, Rihanna, Harry Styles, Harrison Ford, Tom Daley, and most obscurely Justin Fletcher off CBBC (whose girlfriend was the class teacher. A class which included film director Paul Greengrass's daughter, now you're asking. And if you want obscure, a runner-up suggestion in one of these schools was cricketer Colin Cowdray, one of the pupils being his grandson). 

I do an awful lot of these classes, in schools all over the country and all over the world. Is it just that I can't say no? Well, if you want me to come and teach your kids how to do what I've been doing for the last 25 years, you'd better get in touch fast, just in case I learn how to use the 'n' word.*



More comics from pupils in Croydon, Richmond and Glasgow, in  Chorley, Newcastle Under Lyme, Borehamwood and Henley, in Hertfordshire and Weston Super Mare, in Cardiff, Falkirk, Birmingham and rural Devon. You'll find many more if you scour this blog.


* No! I meant the word "no"!! Please.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Kev, long time no see lol.

Nigel Maughan (Facebook) of Pocket Rockets.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...