Saturday 28 May 2022

Queen Breaks Her Back - a week of comics by kids


En route to the Satellite 7 convention in Glasgow, which I couldn't fly to cos I needed to take up The Socks and my comics, I lined up four days in schools, and what an excellent four days they were.

Morland Primary School near Penrith - all this week's schools were near, rather than actually in, towns - was the first of my Lake-District-adjacent schools, most of which I'd spoken to about having me in the run up to the Lakes Comic Festival last October. They were doing a Jubilee themed day, as were a few schools. I'm not sure this rather dark title was what they were expecting. Have I ever mentioned these titles are all the kids ideas?


Underley Garden is a special school, located in a massive stately home with the highest ceilings I think I've seen. The kids were challenging but I think I did pretty well with them. The teachers seemed to think so, which is good enough for me.


Thursday was a day of two schools, with Asby in the morning and Crosby Ravensworth in the afternoon. Dragons Burn The World is my favourite bit of colouring of the week, though I've got to say there's stiff competition. To be fair, what else have I had to do every night apart from colour my front covers and eat badly?


Day four of my mini tour of the North took me back to Old Hutton, which was one of the last schools I visited, in March 2020, just before the first lockdown happened. We joked at the time about the title the kids came up for that visit's comics: The World's Ending And No-One Cares. (Look here it is again...)


The celebrities these 8 groups chose to appear, treading on a worm, in my demonstration strip were Ed Sheeran (three times), Boris Johnson, The Queen, Elon Musk, Simon Cowell, and Dwayne The Rock Johnson. 

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...