Wednesday 25 May 2022

Ten Years of comics from Colmore


Well almost. I've been visiting Colmore Juniors in Kings Heath, Birmingham to deliver my Comic Art Masterclasses since at least 2011 (probably longer, but that's as far back as my records show). And every visit results in up to four brand new comics containing strips by every one of them. Following my most recent visit, and the blog thereupon, I thought I'd take a look at their fab creations from the past decade. Sadly, the vagiaries of the various modes of photo-uploading over the years mean that some comics have vanished into the ether. But here are the best that survive. (Above, May 2021)


May 2014, the earliest pics available, commemorate the fact that I was writing and drawing Pansy Potter The Strongman's Daughter in The Beano at the time.


May 2015, when year 5 still only had 3 forms, I included the caricatures of the kids in order to keep the symmetry of the blog post. These 10 year old kids will now be 17 years old, somewhere.



2016 saw the arrival of Donald Trump in the imaginations of primary schoolkids. He would go on to become the most-suggested celebrity in my "person treads on worm" demonstration strip for the next four years.



By 2017 I'd started colouring the front covers in full colour, and emailing these versions back to the schools I visited. And not charging any extra money for this! I am an idiot. I hope the schools and kids appreciate it.



2018's comics maintained the consistently high standard of titles the Colmore kids come up with.



By 2019 we'd reached peak inspiration from the kids of Colmore, so you can imagine I was looking forward to my return visit in May 2020.


...which was, of course, cancelled. Too late I discover I could be earning a pretty penny caricaturing at parties in Downing Street, but for the rest of us, work was off for a year. These were from my return in May 2021 when Colmore was, appropriately, the first school to have me back in after lockdown.

Here's to the next ten years.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...