Wednesday 7 August 2024

Cat On The Loo - the first kids comics of August


The first three days of classes took me to libraries in Chipping Barnet, Leicestershire, and Nottinghamshire, taking in five libraries in total, and a lovely collection of comics by kids.


Chipping Barnet library is one that I've been to a few times now, and a couple of sellout classes came up with the goods as ever.


An early morning start on Monday saw Hev and me arriving at Coalville Library well ahead of time, at the start of a two day Midlands sojourn. After I'd finished my morning class, and flogged books to the parents (totals logged elsewhere) I sped off to Hinckley and did more of the same. The second poo-or-bottom related title of this batch came up with some kind of inevitability.


 An overnight stay in Nottingham and I got an early start at Wollaton library, one I've been to a few times now. The one novelty of the morning was a kid getting his leg stuck in the table. I know, it does sound improbable. Hard to describe, it's easier to show you...


The tables had quite a dodgy design, it turns out. Though an accident like this had never happened before, and will probably never happen again, the table leg is designed as a pair of vertical metal railings, just the perfect size for an 11 year old's leg, when clad in shorts, to slip through in one direction and have the greatest difficulty slipping back out the way it went in. I did my best to carry on with the class while staff and parents administered soap and water to lubricate and extract the limb in question. It all ended happily and the lad, who had been to my class before, was adamant he'll be back next time.

In the afternoon I was at the brand newly built Nottingham Central Library, and an impressive new place it is. These two classes were an experiment in me handling the ticket sales myself, and keeping all the takings. The result wasn't bad - 18 sales at Wollaton, 20 at Central - but it earned me less than if I'd taken a flat fee (which wasn't a possibility this time because of lack of funding). So it was definitely a risk worth taking. It would only have taken eight more sales for me to have made more than my flat fee. So I'll do it again.

The celebrities these six classes chose to appear in my demonstration strip were Taylor Swift (twice), King Charles, Kai Cenat (a Youtuber), Harry Styles, and David Attenborough.



My Books and where to get them:

Richard The Third Amazon - Etsy - Barnes & Noble - Waterstones
Findlay Macbeth - Amazon  - Etsy 
Prince Of Denmark Street - Amazon - Etsy - Kindle
Midsummer Nights Dream Team  - Amazon Etsy 
Shakespeare Omnibus Collection (all 3 books) - Paperback

Sweet Smell Of Sockcess - Putting A Show On At The Edinburgh Fringe - Amazon - ebook

Who Notes - Doctor Who Reviews - Amazon - Lulu - ebook
Space Elain - Amazon - Lulu - iBooks - Barnes & Noble 
Tales From The Bible - Amazon -  Etsy - Webtoons
The Book Of Esther - Lulu  - Amazon - Webtoons
Joseph, Ruth & Other Stories - Amazon
Captain Clevedon - Amazon
Tales Of Nambygate - Amazon  



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...