Friday 12 July 2013

The Minions Spy - new comics by kids

Some more brand new comic creations by the pupils in my Comic Art Masterclasses.



These comics, the covers thereof, were dreamed up by the pupils of Ramsbury in Wiltshire, Newbury (courtesy of Berol pens), Walsall, Clevedon and Bushey in Herts. Every pupil goes home with a comic containing a strip by every one of them, and an individual caricature by me.

Most delightful moment of the week: The process of choosing the title of each group's comic involves each of them writing a title on a piece of paper, then we vote one versus the other till we've chosen the favourite. As we were coming close to choosing The Minions Spy, the wee year 3 girl who'd thought it up said to the teacher "my heart's beating so fast!". Sweet.

Continuing my informal survey of what kids find popular, when I ask which Doctor Who they want me to draw I am still getting an 80% David Tennant request rate over Matt Smith (sorry Matt, I don't know why this phenomenon has happened this year), and when I ask them to suggest a celebrity for the "treads on a worm" demo strip, these nine groups ended up choosing Simon Cowell (twice, though he is suggested in 80% of classes), Bradley Wiggins, Johnny Depp, Daniel Radcliffe, Psy, Keith Lemon, Harry Styles and Boris Johnson.

If you want to experience my Comic Art Masterclass, which is suitable for anyone aged 7 or over (there's no maximum age limit), I'll be doing classes at London's South Bank Centre this summer as part of Beanotown , a class in Bedford on July 20, and in August I'll be appearing in various libraries in and around Edinburgh, details here. And you can see me in the Lake District in October, stay tuned for that update. In the meantime you can always book me to come to your local school. Email and we'll take it from there. Details of my class, and more examples and testimonials, are on the website comicfestival.co.uk.

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...