Tuesday 11 December 2018

Hev & Kev in RCA Secrets


Check me out, front and centre on the front page of the RCA Secrets website this year. What do you mean you've never heard of it? For shame. Look, here's one of Hev's entries...


That's just one of Hev's three cards in this year's RCA Secrets, I have three in there as well. And is that Michael Bartlett, to the right, the same man who was head of my 4D Department at Exeter in the 1980s? It would be brilliant if it was.


The way RCA Secrets works is that a number of artists, by invitation don't cha know, are given three postcards each, to decorate as they see fit. These cards are then displayed, anonymously, and sold on opening night, with all moneys going to the support of the Royal College Of Art.

Here's an interview I did with RCA Secrets back in 2011.


Artists who've entered this year include Jeremy Dellar, Grayson Perry, Nick Park, Maggi Hambling, Ridley Scott and hundreds more. And, of course, Kev Sutherland and Heather Tweed.


Both Heather's and my cards were produced during her exhibition at Christmas Steps back in September. Heather's are prints based on Lulu, the circus performer she's doing work on, and my cards were simply biro drawings of the gallery and Hev's exhibition.


I hope our cards have gone to good homes. I've only ever met one person who's ever bought my card, I suppose statistically it's unlikely that I should even have managed that. She was a teacher at The Brit School, as I recall. Hmm, I wonder if my niece Shona has met her. We should compare notes. Anyhoo, here's to being invited to be in RCA Secrets again next time, and congratulations to all the buyers who got a surprisingly valuable card by a top artist. Commiserations to whoever got me again.

Kev F Sutherland, as well as writing and drawing for The Beano, Marvel, Doctor Who et al, runs Comic Art Masterclasses in schools, libraries and art centres - email for details, and follow him on Facebook and Twitter. View the promo video here

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...